Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 08, 2013

Christianity and Disney?

We were talking about someone's upcoming vacation to Disney World in bible study. I'd been there before, so my ears perked up.  It's not necessarily a place you go planning a worshipful vacation, but as a Christian, if you'd like to have Christ and His love as part of the trip, it will be done.  My friend who is going soon is thinking about this, and she tried to ask on Disney's boards for suggestions along these lines. Disney doesn't allow religious expression on their boards, so her post was removed.  Sad right?  So as I've been thinking about this, I wanted to share a few ways God showed up through His people on my trip and since then.

The Sunday we were there we did a devotion in our hotel room.  Then a surprise arrived as we were walking around in Epcot.  Somebody decided to make an aerial message for us (and a few others I'm sure) - it said "Love God" in the sky for around ten minutes.





The earliest time of praise had been on Day 2.  At Animal Kingdom someone was playing "Amazing Grace" and a few other hymns on a delightful instrument.  (Someone tell me what this thing is called!)

I made up a "Countdown to Disney" with a few fun tasks like dancing to Disney music or watching a Disney flick, which made for some fun preparations. We added "Hot Dog" (not the real title) for a ringtone on Chad's phone. However, you could include scripture as part of a countdown...telling a little story of your own.

I got as far as making the scripture connections, you'll have to take it from here.  And I'm sure there are more thoughts and ideas on this subject.  I'd love to hear how you lived out your Christian faith at a secular place - Disney, or anywhere for that matter!

Keep swimming:  1 Timothy 4:16  Watch your life and doctrine closely. Persevere in them, because if you do, you will save both yourself and your hearers.

Reach for the sky: Hebrews 10:36 You need to persevere so that when you have done the will of God, you will receive what he has promised.

Hukuna matata: 1 Peter 5:7 Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.

Even miracles take a little time: Matthew 13:58 And he did not do many miracles there because of their lack of faith.

They say if you dream about something more than once, it's sure to come true. Genesis 41:15 Pharaoh said to Joseph, “I had a dream, and no one can interpret it. But I have heard it said of you that when you hear a dream you can interpret it.”

If you live to be 100, I want to live to be 100 minus a day so I never have to live without you. John 13:1 It was just before the Passover Festival. Jesus knew that the hour had come for him to leave this world and go to the Father. Having loved his own who were in the world, he loved them to the end.

All it takes is faith and trust. Psalm 145:13 Your kingdom is an everlasting kingdom, and your dominion endures through all generations. The Lord is trustworthy in all he promises and faithful in all he does.

Family means no one gets left behind. Ezekiel 39:28  Then they will know that I am the Lord their God, for though I sent them into exile among the nations, I will gather them to their own land, not leaving any behind.

Seeing these verses just reminds me how the Lord allows us to go through difficulties and the pain that often accompanies this stretching. Since His eye is on us, we can have a sense that each day of struggle is counting for something.  He can provide godly people, beautiful worship and comfort - even through issues we'd rather not have to deal with. Maybe it's making a difference in our words of compassion or using our time for what's important and for those people who need our touch.  Maybe it's to open ourselves to receive that gift from someone else. With my last struggle, the Lord led me to a verse where I felt He wanted to give me the assurance that it would change soon. I took great comfort in that verse. God's word is powerful - more powerful than we can give it credit for...  Lord, forgive & use our faith for Your glory!

1 comment:

ohhollyf said...

Yay great ideas !