Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

www.easyreadingpicks.blogspot.com

The New York Times Book review said of "A Book About Design:  Complicated Doesn't Make it Good" by Mark Gonyea, "It's the only current title that effectively deconstructs complex principles of graphic design for children."  I agree.  Every time I read it, I stand in awe of the simplicity, yet how difficult it is to remember and put these art principles into practice!  Gonyea has helped me with choosing colors through his creative ways of capturing and teaching in his books.  "A Book About Color:  A Clear and Simple Guide for Young Artists" illustrates color by aligning two "Color Streets," instead of crossing over a color wheel.  Brilliant!

Also have hopes to create some of the recipes in "The Berry Bible."  Here's one for American Barbeque Sauce, and if you beat me to it - you gotta bring some over!!!

2 c. blackberries
2 cloves garlic
1/4 c. red wine vinegar

1/4 c. dark corn syrup
1 c. ketchup
1/4 t. red pepper flakes
1 1/2 t. pimenton (bittersweet, smoky paprika)
1 1/2 t. sea salt
1/2 t. pepper
1 T. butter

Puree ingredients.  Simmer one hour until sauce has thickened.  Use in a covered jar in the refrigerator for 1 month.

Another reading goal of mine is to read more of Joan Bauer's books.  The first I've read is "Backwater."  I appreciated how she captured a family set on their own will.  They didn't recognize God's will in leading their lives or how He gifts different people uniquely to all fit together.  Through the discovery of a long-lost aunt, the main character Ivy connects the dots on being misunderstood herself.  Common problem, I know I've done it to my kids a time or two.


I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.  Psalm 139:14

2 comments:

Jane Heitman Healy said...

Thanks for these tips, Jennifer, especially the design book!

Jennifer Noble said...

You're welcome - it's a fun one.