Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Scotty Dialogue

In the past month, I've realized how grateful I am to have 3 children that can stay on tune pretty much all the time if it's in their range. Otherwise, the vocal coach (that would be ME) would be sure to rear back and say, "a little higher," or "a little lower."  I loved when the University of Sioux Falls did "What's Your Name?" following a tone-deaf little girl named Melody, who discovered that names don't necessarily have to define you. Because, all in all, it doesn't matter very much, and we can be polite enough not to criticize someone making their joyful noise (I'm just thankful God allowed me to listen to children that have a good ear for music! He obviously opted to work on my patience in other ways.)


Sing to the Lord, all the earth; proclaim his salvation day after day. 1 Chron. 16:23


On that note, I've been watching Scotty on American Idol and am being reminded of some truths that also fall under the the umbrella of grace. Jennifer Lopez mentioned AI covered the genre of gospel, and I was like, "No. There hasn't been any gospel." However, it resonated with me that perhaps after seeing Scotty's cross necklace over and over, the Christian vibe has been stirring subconsciously. It's hard to watch him knowing the temptations he will now face, being young, and desiring him to seek a humble path. I do believe it can be done. It affirms in me how we all want the best for those we know and love, even those we don't, and just wanting a protective shield to guard in difficult moments. Thoughts of Scotty brought me back to my hope for a former pastor. 


When Pastor John Eagen served as our leader, I so appreciated the insights he brought out from the bible. I remember hearing for the first time about how Jesus was given myrrh as one of the gifts at birth. John Eagen remarked how this was a burial spice, and why should Jesus be given a burial spice unless something was significant about His death? John Eagen though, followed his own desires, and pride came before a fall. I was saddened to see his extramarital relationship ruin his marriage and service as pastor. I believe he's now working for a hospital in Florida. But this is isn't where the story ends for me, because I remember people asking me what I thought about him, almost mocking me for trusting human being who could make such a devastating mistake. Like, "Shouldn't I know better than to love my pastor who could so easily let me down?" He did disappoint me, no doubt, but John Eagen isn't my only teacher. I've forgiven him, and tried to articulate this to those who didn't understand. Pointing out God doesn't appreciate hypocrisy and selfishness, but He also forgives it when asked.



No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. 1 Cor. 10:13

But the gift is not like the trespass. For if the many died by the trespass of the one man, how much more did God’s grace and the gift that came by the grace of the one man, Jesus Christ, overflow to the many! Romans 5:15

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. 1 John 1:9


So my hope is now in John Eagen being restored with the Lord. I hope his relationship gets back on track. And even if Scotty does lose his focus and and takes a wrong course, I hope it's a quick return to the truths he appears to know. 


One who has unreliable friends soon comes to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.  Proverbs 18:24



No comments: