Search This Blog

Monday, June 20, 2011

The Friendships of Women

One thing I love to do while reading is to mark my favorite pages in the front of the inside cover.  That way I can go back and see what I liked most about the book or topics the chapters address.  Right now I'm reading "The Divine Mentor," and there are some similar themes in the book "The Friendships of Women" by Dee Brestin.  


I like how both authors challenge their friends when they justify an action or don't look at the situation from God's point of view.  My friend Signe said she gets asked, "What would happen if you prayed about it?"  It's nice to have the comfort of a friend, but sometimes the most comfort comes from a prod in the right direction!


Conversation can go deeper when asking, “What concerns have been on your heart lately?” or “What have you been thinking about lately?”

Too often when a friend makes a comment like, “I guess I haven’t been much of a mother or a wife,” we respond by minimizing her confession. It would be much more productive to say, “Well, that is a serious matter before God; what will you do differently?” 

Galations 6:1 says, “Brothers, if someone is caught in a sin, you who are spiritual should restore him gently.” How can you confront gently? By helping her discover how this sin will hurt her.

Sometimes caring questions can help the person begin to think more realistically about the effect of her choice. “If you marry Joe (an unbeliever) will you go to church alone?” Gently steer towards a realistic view of the long-term consequences of a choice. 

www.easyreadingpicks.blogspot.com

No comments: