Search This Blog

Saturday, August 27, 2011

August's Discontent

Sometimes home life crawls on at a snails pace.  It's not that there's not stuff to do it's just the stuff that needs to be done, and hence imagination wonders.  That's a good thing - especially when the heat of July translates into crankiness and emotionally by August we're fighting discontentment. Imagine when we're settled in our new routines and resting at peace, yet we need to be careful at how far we go in those scenarios we create. Transitions with school exist and new sleep schedules - and wow - that makes it hard not to look around and wallow in discontentment.

I know I'm not alone, as Google trends show for the past week popular searches include Myrtle Beach, Santa Monica and United Airlines. I'll admit this picture is from Tulsa, Oklahoma's Woodward Park.  Did you know they have year-round schools there?  I find that attractive because you have a couple weeks off here and there, but never so much time that your existence in those two spheres looks so different.  Yet, I know the grass always looks greener on the other side, and the parks look more beautiful in photographs.  My vision of something else could be hugely skewed, and unless God leads the charge, I'm a fool to track down something I think looks better. If there's a getaway, it's God's to provide and for HIS glory! Think about how this translates into relationships, because great relationships can be burdened greatly with discontentment. Today we're going to enjoy the family with a couple of outings around town - and I have a feeling it'll do us some good. If there's been a diversion from praising God, it's time to get back to it. So this is my take on a biblical principle, and here are a few verses that exemplify it further...  Let me know how you're doing, and if the verses help.  They usually do!


“You will keep in perfect peace those whose minds are steadfast, because they trust in you.” Isaiah 26:3 


A sluggard’s appetite is never filled, but the desires of the diligent are fully satisfied. Proverbs 13:4

Return to your rest, my soul,
   for the Lord has been good to you.

  For you, Lord, have delivered me...
   my eyes from tears,
   my feet from stumbling, 
that I may walk before the Lord
   in the land of the living. Ps. 116:7-9

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Please help me by reading my appeal on my profile