Search This Blog

Friday, May 15, 2009

Happy-Go-Lucky, not-so-much


Although the story of "Happy-Go-Lucky" kept me guessing to how Poppy's life would end up, it equally frustrated me. I watched as Poppy made unconventional decisions, and supported most of them - yet also attempted to discern the sources of frustration she encountered, this happening four to five times each with a different person. To me, this was the common thread that had me not-so-happy most of the time. I think the ending shows how someone who lives with the gift of mercy but does not realize it's a spiritual gift from God would wind up feeling and responding. Although it's terrific she has supportive friends and people to bounce these situations and emotions off of, without the avenue of prayer, there is a considerable emptiness to the empathy she exudes. 

The climax of the conflict comes when a man who is falling into a fit of rage finally listens.  Poppy, Sally Hawkins, keeps repeating, "Calm down," and a few seconds later, "Calm down." The conviction I felt was to not entirely avoid someone who I believe may have the potential to "blow up," but instead see myself with the ability to speak those words of peace. And here's how Romans 12, verses 3-7 sum it up.

 3For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you. Just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, so in Christ we who are many form one body, and each member belongs to all the others. We have different gifts, according to the grace given us. If a man's gift is prophesying, let him use it in proportion to his faith. If it is serving, let him serve; if it is teaching, let him teach; if it is encouraging, let him encourage; if it is contributing to the needs of others, let him give generously; if it is leadership, let him govern diligently; if it is showing mercy, let him do it cheerfully.

The good news is that I do have a sense that my friends who share a faith in Christ, following Him through the words of the bible and time in prayer, do give themselves to the extent that I feel like they belong to me, and I to them. I see many who extend mercy with a heart-felt connection and great attitude. And once I heard how freaked out most people get to stand in front of others and teach - and this is no big deal for me. This is why I am grateful for others who are a part of my body...that my gift is enough, I know who gets the glory for it, and that I am completed by others who have different strengths.

No comments: