Search This Blog

Thursday, October 29, 2009

Trashing Thoughts


This week I've had about three opportunities to "dump" my thoughts or even prayers. Someone came to mind that I hoped was sensing God's call in their hearts and minds, and as she had a difficult week, I called to check in. Now in doing that, I was able to praise Him - being aware that even under rough circumstances, she was maintaining the efforts needed to serve those around her. She hadn't abandoned God and her faith despite the challenges. I was thankful I had prayed before hearing of those rough spots, sensing there was a need for connecting.

Then, there's critical thinking. I've tried to stand up to it. This week in my bible study I read, "Sometimes a friend's sympathy and suggestions of unjust treatment can be the worst possible thing for us. This can make us feel sorry for ourselves, start a root of bitterness, and even shake our faith in God." These are times mercy has gone too far, and truth has been disregarded.

Now maybe there's a dreaded email, phone call, bad situation nagging your mind... My thought? Trash it! Pray and move forward, because otherwise it's hard to let go of those feelings. Speak the truth in love and don't ignore the nudge the holy spirit stirs in your heart. If it's for good, the light is spread and Christ's forgiveness is in its proper place. He's not afraid of garbage.

If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. 1 John 1:8-9


1 comment:

Your hubby said...

Jennifer-this is great! How true. You are awesome!