Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Nearly Finished "Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World"

Joanna Weaver came to Sioux City in January, and I braved fluctuating weather to go listen to her share  ideas from her book "Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World" because I hadn't read it at the time!  I needed cliff notes so I could get started on my application.

I'd been wrestling with the question through the course of the year, "How do I respond when feeling out of control?"  In seeing God's sovereignty as a covering in my life, I thought many of my responses were futile; however, seeking some guidance, key scriptures and through trial and error, I've made progress. I think of myself praying more, sooner, and recognizing my feelings earlier. That being said, I'm still working on not seeing those circumstances as first negative, or mostly negative - you get the idea.

One quote to keep work and effort in perspective from Joanna reads, "First things first, the Lord was saying. Take care of my business, and I'll take care of yours. Make room in your heart for me, and I'll make room for everything else," based on the verse, "Seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well" (Matthew 6:33).

Here were some additional verses that are good to see again...
"Take firm hold of instruction, do not let go; keep her, for she is your life." Proverbs 4:13

"Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you saying, 'This is the way, walk in it.'"  Isaiah 30:21

And last, a version of the 23rd Psalm from Japan (we LOVE Japan!)

The Lord is my pace setter...I shall not rush
He makes me stop for quiet intervals
He provides me with images of stillness which restore my serenity
He leads me in the way of efficiency through calmness of mind and his guidance is peace
Even though I have a great many things to accomplish each day, I will not fret, for His presence is here
His timelessness, His all importance will keep me in balance
He prepares refreshment and renewal in the midst of my activity by anointing my mind with His oils of tranquillity
My cup of joyous energy overflows
Truly harmony and effectiveness shall be the fruits of my hours for I shall walk in the pace of my Lord and dwell in His house forever.

Let it be said!

No comments: