Search This Blog

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Julie Andrews' Collection of Poems, Songs and Lullabies

Julie Andrews & her daughter Emma Walton Hamilton have done some terrific work on behalf of children with a poetry compilation, the Dumpy book series (Dumpy as in the name of a truck) and "Raising Bookworms:  Getting Kids Reading for Pleasure and Empowerment."  Kicking off April's recognition of poetry (it's National Poetry Month), here are a few from the "Raindrops on Roses - Queen of Princess Diaries" all on her own!

Bedtime Blessing

Bedtime.
Curling up,
Finding a poem or two.

Reading.
Snuggling down,
Sharing the wonder with you.

Listen, ponder,
Feel the release.
Imagine, wonder,
Surrender to peace.

Everything warm and cozy
As you drift toward dreamland.
Wake the next day with grace in your heart
And hold the world in your hand.
Missing

I've lost my sense of humor,
It fell into a well
That's full of dark self-pity,
As far as I can tell.

I'm glared at by the children.
I'm yelled at by the boss.
And every little word I say
Makes everybody cross.

I'd run away & not come back
If it would do some good.
But nobody would notice
So I don't think that I should.

I miss my sense of humor
And if, by chance, you see
                                           It peeking round a corner
                                           Please send it back to me.

                                                                                Julie Andrews

No comments: