Search This Blog

Thursday, July 14, 2011

What's a calling?

From scripture, most of the accounts of the word "calling" are understood in the context of calling out to someone. "Hey there, yeah - it's you I'm talking to!" However, the deepest verses are very few, and but they are dear and packed with meaning. I'll reference two of them, both in 2nd Peter.  The first is critical to being introduced to Jesus, the second is more in terms of how we give ourself to do works of eternal value. Excited?


His divine power has given us everything we need for a godly life through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness. 2 Peter 1:3




This type of calling grabs our attention.  I can't even begin to describe how much everything came into focus when in repeated instances, people showed me the love of God.  They were communicating their knowledge of God through their godly lives which made me question if I'd been living on a track primarily about my plan and not considering if God had better ideas.  And, oh yeah, He did.  The power comes into play when we try to make those big steps of obedience.  It's like super hard but incredibly rewarding at the same time!  This verse shows us we can do it with confidence.

Jesus replied, “Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching. My Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them. John 14:23

Now the second was a recent discovery.  I've blogged before about the scripture that references that the plans of the diligent lead to profit as surely as haste leads to poverty, but this one applies diligence to our calling.  For me, the Lord addressed my calling in 2003 when the question was, "Can you use the talents I've given you for Me?" ...um, sure!  And, "You can do this and still be a great Mom."  I needed that one too.

So, I will include several translations of 2 Peter 1:10 because of my recent attachment to it. This is being plugged onto the fridge and hopefully will be memorized in short order.  Remember, how sweet are His words to taste (Psalm 119:103) Yum, yum, yummmy!!!

Therefore, brethren, be even more diligent to make your call and election sure, for if you do these things you will never stumble. (New King James) 2 Peter 1:10

So then, my friends, try even harder to make God's call and his choice of you a permanent experience; if you do so, you will never abandon your faith. (Good News Version)

Therefore, my brothers and sisters, make every effort to confirm your calling and election. For if you do these things, you will never stumble. (NIV)

So, friends, confirm God's invitation to you, his choice of you. Don't put it off; do it now. Do this, and you'll have your life on a firm footing, the streets paved and the way wide open into the eternal kingdom of our Master and Savior, Jesus Christ. (Message)

www.easyreadingpicks.blogspot.com


No comments: