Search This Blog

Friday, December 09, 2011

Five Poems

The Salesian Missions produce small books that they publish to fund missions work.  I looked them up after reading "Lift Up Your Hearts."  Here are a few examples of the faith-focused poetry compiled in one of them.


Listless moments spent in flight, lost forever, a fool's delight. Lasting moments spent in prayer, saved forever, in heaven's care. Bill Tworney

"Candle of Faith"
Yesterday the day was dark
And washed with mirky streams;
My heart was marked with fitful fare
that spattered on my dreams
Yesterday revealed the past
And no one seemed to care
The hours threaded it with woes
But healing labored there.

Today the candle of my faith
Is held up to shine
In steady trust I forge a path
that time reveals as mine
Today I let my spirit soar
To sing unending song
And if for mercy I must wait
Lord, make me sweet and strong

Roxie Lusk Smith


Hearts that open to the love that is God, feel loved in loving and served in serving.  Edward Gloeggler


"A Light at the End of the Tunnel"
There's a light at the end of the tunnel, a love awaiting me there
All cares and troubles I will leave behind, as I climb the golden stairs
There's a light at the end of the tunnel, meeting my Lord face to face
And I'll be in the home that I long for, saved by His heavenly grace...Helen Parker


"Nobility" by Alice Cary
True worth is in being, not seeming-
In doing each day that goes by
Some little good - not in dreaming
Of great things to do by and by

Whatever men say in their blindness
And spite of their fancies of youth
There's nothing so kingly as kindness
And nothing so royal as truth

We get back our mete what we measure
We cannot do wrong and feel right
Nor can we give pain and gain pleasure
For justice avenges each slight

For good lie not in pursuing
Nor gaining of great nor of small
But just in the doing, and doing
As we would be done by, is all

No comments: