Search This Blog

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Proverbs 31 Woman

This week I spent some time in Proverbs 31.  It hit me because the snow will be coming (I know this because my birthday is on the first day of winter & it's usually a doozy!)  I do live in South Dakota, and snow is inevitable.  I wondered how bad the snow was in bible times.  Anyway, here's where I'm at with Proverbs 31 today.


Epilogue: The Wife of Noble Character
 A wife of noble character who can find?
   She is worth far more than rubies.
 Her husband has full confidence in her
   and lacks nothing of value.  (SO I am thinking here that I need to post the scripture with a picture of a ruby to remind myself of the value I could be...of course, some days I do feel like a genuine rhinestone...most days I think I opted for the cheaper version!)
She brings him good, not harm,
   all the days of her life.
 She selects wool and flax
   and works with eager hands. (this ONE cracks me up because I have been choosing wool, as in WARM wool socks.  We replaced some of our old ones for snow play and I'm using them for everyday...also flax because we've been looking for other grains besides wheat in our cooking)
 She is like the merchant ships,
   bringing her food from afar.  (I've been doing this too, buying some good stuff from Vitacost.com.  I like health food but not health food store prices.)
She gets up while it is still night;
   she provides food for her family
   and portions for her female servants.  (Here's a goal - getting up earlier and paying someone to clean on a regular basis) .  
She considers a field and buys it;
   out of her earnings she plants a vineyard.  (We did get some stock in Vitacost.com.  I'm thinking I'd have no problem making a commercial - we'll see about the vineyard - I'd eat the produce, not make wine, so that's a plus)
 She sets about her work vigorously;
   her arms are strong for her tasks.  (AND I've made it a goal to do 100 push-ups a couple times a week)
She sees that her trading is profitable,
   and her lamp does not go out at night.  (Chad & I used to pray every Friday over our finances, we're doing this again - accountability...here I go!)
In her hand she holds the distaff
   and grasps the spindle with her fingers.
She opens her arms to the poor
   and extends her hands to the needy.  (This is a big goal as well - see Psalms 38-40)
When it snows, she has no fear for her household;
   for all of them are clothed in scarlet.  (snow...really?!!!)
 She makes coverings for her bed;
   she is clothed in fine linen and purple.  (Yes, I do try to look nice and purple is a great color, right?)
Her husband is respected at the city gate,
   where he takes his seat among the elders of the land.  (Chad rocks - I did laugh on the inside when he offered to do the Christmas wrapping.  He has helped though - so good report there)
She makes linen garments and sells them,
   and supplies the merchants with sashes.  (nope, don't sell anything...oh, wait, ads for Vitacost)
 She is clothed with strength and dignity;
   she can laugh at the days to come.  (trying, really - a cheerful heart is good medicine)
She speaks with wisdom,
   and faithful instruction is on her tongue.  (yes, agree, I like God's words better than mine)
She watches over the affairs of her household
   and does not eat the bread of idleness.  (yes, idleness is annoying)
Her children arise and call her blessed;
   her husband also, and he praises her:  (some days, the ruby days)
“Many women do noble things,
   but you surpass them all.”
Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting;
   but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised.  (So TRUE!!!  I see charm all the time and it's used for personal gain.  Women rely on their looks sometimes too.  Good thing that it's the fear of the Lord that brings praise worth having...that's my goal) 
Honor her for all that her hands have done,
   and let her works bring her praise at the city gate.  (From the mouth of Sara Groves, "I live and I breathe for an audience of one")

Blessings, Jennifer

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is great, Jennifer. Have a great birthday next week! And, Merry Christmas to you & yours if I don't talk to you before!

Jennifer Noble said...

You too -bet Natalie had fun! jN