Search This Blog

Monday, December 19, 2011

Why it's been good to stay at home...

This week I am pondering reasons why I'm thankful to be a 12-year veteran of staying at home with one, two and then three children.  Now that they are in school, it's a different "thing," and as the kids were smaller I never envisioned this "time" of my life not working a regular job, but today I'm grateful for it.  I felt like blogging about it was not only a way to express myself, but also to encourage those on the same road.  I've gotten to share those feelings every now and again together or at bible study, and it's been a good thing.  This is in no way an effort to condemn those who need or want to work full-time, but sometimes it seems to dangle out there like a carrot on rough days at home.  At times I have completely been at peace about staying at home, and other times, I think when I'm not fully using my gifts and talents with my children and others, a job seems attractive again.  But enough with the analysis of why...let's get back to my current reality.

Why it's been good to stay at home...
1.  As my kids are in school, I can check in on them...bring them lunch and know their friends.
2.  I've been able to provide assistance to other moms when they need to run errands, have foster children or to do play dates for my kids during the week.
3.  I can do the dishes in the middle of the afternoon.
4.  I can get all excited during the day over a wonderful bible study, process it, and still be calm by the time I should be crawling into bed.
5.  A friend can call and we can talk for an hour.  We can pray for one another and help each other through the rough spots.
6.  I can take all week to plan something for the weekend.
7.  I really care about my husband's situation at work, as I know it means our livelihood and much of his happiness.  It gives me passion in prayer for him.
8.  I can spend an hour gathering ideas for activities to do at home or with others without guilt.
9.  I have time to get the groceries and exercise.
10.  I can avoid heavy traffic.
11.  I don't have to rush to get ready in the morning.
12.  Most of my conversations are about the people I love, not things that need to get done.
13.  I have time to get the good deals online and from newspapers.
14.  My children are proud to tell others their mom stays at home.
15.  As a 5th grader, my eldest still said for her life she wanted to be a stay at home mom and go to school for music.
16.  My children have great friends and also are kind to younger children.
17.  I invest in what my kids learn as we've spend a lot of time at home discussing our values - this may have rewards for years to come.
18.  If a package comes in the mail, I know about it right away.
19.  I have the time to stop and light a candle.
20.  I can learn about all the stuff I didn't care about in school and am interested in now.  I can share these things with the checkout person at the grocery store, in a useless trivia discussion or just for the fun of it.  And the stuff in the bible...well, that is drawing me ever nearer to the One who loves me perfectly and completely.  He's helping me to love others more too.  What blessings!

Philippians 4:8
Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure,whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I enjoyed reading this, Jennifer. Well said. I can attest to your children being kind to younger children, too! Hope you have a great week!
Katie