Search This Blog

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Normal Beautiful

I wanted to post a photo as a new mom as my body took on the role of nurturing my sweet baby. I would describe the look as "normal beautiful." There's only been one time in my life that I really wanted to get in shape, and the only advice I took was to stay away from sweets and not to step on a scale.  My "coach" told me I'd feel it in my clothes and my energy level when those extra pounds began to drop off.  After wrestling with food and exercise, I know that seeking out enjoyable exercise and healthy eating is no small task.  It's a daily battle of discipline and a road of ups and downs. That being said I have to ask, "What's enough for you?"  Is it enough to change your diet and exercise more to meet the goals you've set?  It can be.  

It doesn't make sense to post photos of toned bodies as incentive to act differently.  Your only gauge is you and the power of a made up mind (couple that with a reliance on the Lord if you seek Him).  Food is a substitute for prayer, a lack of rest and a cure for boredom.  If we're going down that road, we might as well spend our time getting nutritious foods to taste as delicious as possible and scrap the sweets.  Do we eat to live or live to eat?  Does the thought of idolatry come to mind?    The goal of this post to make known the feelings that stir within me as friends pin up photos of fit bodies of people they don't even know.  I'm all for taking care of our bodies, but please, spare me the showing off. And I think that extends to church attire...can our women keep their upper bodies clothed?  It's fine if someone doesn't know better, but a woman who may cause another man to be distracted during worship really bothers me. Just to see what scriptures would hit me in regards to this issue, I found one I liked.  Maybe you'll find some more!  
The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed: ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other people—robbers, evildoers, adulterers—or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.'

But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, ‘God, have mercy on me, a sinner.’
Luke 18:11-13


In light of it, where do I need God's mercy today? If talking to Jesus and thinking about Him brings joy and fulfillment, then I am in a good place.  My son's prayer was, "And just thank you for Mom.  Thank you that she can do everything she needs to do."  The Lord wants to be in every nook and cranny of our being, and for that, I'm thankful.

No comments: