Search This Blog

Friday, October 12, 2012

Roasted Pork Tenderloin


I love how this whole story comes together.  I'd done a search on "healthy" cookbooks.  One of them featured recipes by Chuck White.  I didn't know how wonderful a chef he was until I started reading the book.  I was touched that he is a Christian and he was able to minister to Sheryl Crow during her recovery from breast cancer.  His light definitely shines through the pages as stories are shared of his presence in the family's life as he cooks for them.  I almost wonder if it will completely remove the edge on Sheryl's music - wouldn't that be awesome!  (by edge I mean profanity!)

At the Outback with Enrique
So then, the other day we went out to eat as a family, taking a special birthday boy along with us to the Outback Steakhouse.  They brought us samples of their roasted pork tenderloin.  

I went home and found a recipe that I thought looked similar to what we tasted and made 1/2 of the loin at a time (cooks at 200 for 3 hours, last 1/2 hour at 300).

Great collection Chuck!
One of Chuck White's recipes was also for pork.  He added a few things into his "rub," that I wanted to include with the glaze recipe I'd used before.  Ultimately, this is what I liked best, after adding anise as White recommended and making it a second time.  I felt like the capers also added a complexity to the flavor that the recipe needed.

Seriously, it looks this good.
Roasted Pork Tenderloin

1  Pork Tenderloin 

Sweet Tangy Glaze Ingredients:
1 TBS. butter
¼ pound Chopped Roasted Red Peppers 
1 TBS. Chopped Garlic 
2 tsp. Chili Powder 
1 tsp. Salt 
1 TBS. Apple Cider Vinegar 
2 cups Apricot Preserves 
+ my additions
1/2 t. anise
1 t. capers
In a saute pan over medium heat warm butter. Add chopped peppers and garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes.  Add seasonings and vinegar and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 2-3 minutes. Carefully place mixture into a blender, pour in apricot preserves and blend until smooth.

Last, speaking of things coming together, I hunted down Sheryl's "Real Gone" from Cars 2.  It was awesome, because following hearing this song  I listened to Bill Hybel's message called "Dangerous Leaders," where he referenced a class he took to learn the basics of race car driving.  There was a professional driver who sandbagged while they "thought" they were driving really fast--only to see him pick up the pace and lap them several times.  He uses this example of intensity in ministry and how we need to stay "dangerous" to our enemy.  Way to flip the meaning around and challenge me Bill.  If you'd like to take a listen, let me know.

No comments: