Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Blog Party Discoveries

Today I'm going through my notes and questions from the "blog party," which equated to a lot of nutrition information and organic food samples!  Basically I felt like after I was able to pull everything together to celebrate 10,000 views that I also wanted to post everything we discussed.

This is a general summary from those who were here, but in the next few weeks I'll be able to post what was in the packet of information we went through together. I feel like to understand why the price point is usually higher on organic foods that we need to know how the nutrients and lack of hydrogenated oils/rBGH dairy use play into making them so much better for our bodies!

Spicy Seed Mix (try topping a Cheese Ball!)







Before I go on, I must give a big shout out to Andrea Fabry and her work with MomsAware.  I've learned a lot from her and appreciate her research.

It took a lot of convincing for me to change my ways, so I completely understand how important it is to know WHY!

Here are a few "takeaways" I heard:
*  I learned how different foods interact with each other
*  I found it helpful to learn peppers have more vitamin C than oranges
*  It's interesting how apple cider vinegar aids in extracting minerals in broth
*  I learned additional sources of Omega-3s
*  Ideas to try for my son's breathing issues


As far as sampling goes, we ate:

*  soup recipe with Lundberg's Tuscan blend (prior post)
*  Earth Balance Creamy/Chunky Coconut Peanut Spread (prior post)
*  Go Raw pizza and spicy flax snacks
*  Go Raw pumpkin, apricot, spirulina and banana bread bars
*  Ginger snaps, lemon & carrot super cookies, spicy seed mix (Go Raw)

When I asked what surprised them about the taste this is what I heard:
"The peanut butter is awesome.  It's creamy and flavorful!"

"The peanut butter is a healthy alternative to traditional peanut butters as it doesn't sacrifice any taste!"

"I love the peanut butter."

And for Go Raw:
"I thought the seaweed (spirulina) was different and fun.  I liked the ginger and lemon flavors most.  I like the variety of tastes you can get - from sweet to salty!"

"I liked the ginger cookies and pizza flax snacks most."

"I enjoy the variety of snacks that contained flax."

Last, I was asked where I buy these products.  In a crunch, I'll go to Pomegranate Market in town, or the Co-op (across town from me!).  Typically though, I'll place a $49 order (with free shipping and two free samples) from Vitacost.com.  The prices are roughly 20-40% lower than stores.  We specifically discussed Coconut Oil, which is $20.99 for 54 fluid ounces.



2 comments:

Jane Heitman Healy said...

Fun & interesting! I love the idea of using a seed mix for topping a cheese ball. Thanks for the tips!

Jennifer Noble said...

The spicy seeds have a cilantro lime flavor, so I'm thinking tortilla chips or veggie crackers.