Search This Blog

Sunday, January 23, 2011

January Faves

"The PH Miracle" by Robert O. Young, Ph.D. and Shelley Redford Young was another insightful read about food and its effects on health. The premise is how alkaline or acidic our bodies are, and therefore we can adjust our diet to keep an ideal of 7.365 pH, or very mildly basic.  Of course, what we fall into is having our bodies functioning above this base level, usually falling on the side of being too acidic. Young points out that the only time our bodies should be highly acidic is in death...as the body breaks down (yuck!)

Although overall, I felt overwhelmed by reading the book, there were a few highlights I'll be able to put into practice right away. The most helpful was a chart with the relative potential of acidity and alkalinity in one ounce of common foods (p. 72-73).

Another favorite were the recipes for salads in the back - but be warned, it's really helpful to have a food processor for a lot of the shredding and preparatory work.

  

The other fun find from our library was the Christian Rock Hits of 2010. I searched for "Take Me as I Am" by FM Static, and this was my ticket. I'd heard "Hands" ...you might have too, "With our hands held high, we're screamin'..." --that one's by The Almost.  KJ 52 rapped one of the songs, although not one of his best, still a good time. There was vocal talent in Pillar and Fireflight with the songs "Whatever it Takes" and "Desperate" were the two I liked the most out of the ones I hadn't heard before. "From the Inside Out" is a ballad from Seventh Day Slumber, and with that band name, I couldn't help but smile!


“If you keep your feet from breaking the Sabbath 

   and from doing as you please on my holy day, 
if you call the Sabbath a delight 
   and the Lord’s holy day honorable, 
and if you honor it by not going your own way 
   and not doing as you please or speaking idle words, 
 then you will find your joy in the Lord.

Isaiah 58:13-14 

2 comments:

Wendy said...

I think I'll pass on the Ph one, as I've found other health books that are invaluable (and this one sounds like too much work!) but I'll definitely check out the music!
Thank you for the reviews!

Jennifer Noble said...

Oh yeah, just good to know about in concept I'd say. Thanks for saying hello - hope this week is full of artistry! Full enough anyway...