Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 07, 2012

Mandisa's Prayer

Mandisa's CD is one that can wake me up on a Sunday morning.  I actually want to be somewhat coherent by Central's 9 a.m. church service. The first thing you see when you open the jacket  is Mandisa's prayer, reflecting her gratitude of how God's love had helped her heal and grow.  It reads...

Jesus,
thank You for not leaving me as I was a the beginning of this album process; low on hope, dejected, a bit jaded, and feeling far from You. You allowed me to come to You just as I was -- and it wasn't pretty.  Thank You for showing me that I was free to take the mask off and lay everything out before You. As I did that, even before You changed my circumstances, You began changing my heart.  I asked the question, "What if we were real? and You used my life to show me the answer:  You made me "Stronger" and became my "Lifeline."

I appreciate how the majority of the songs on Mandisa's CD are written by three or more people.  It's a solo project with the assistance of many creative, faithful friends. The lyrics to "The Truth About Me" are powerful -- consider "I say guilty, you say forgiven!"  If we confess our sin, then we are purified, and we can see a change in the way we live because of gaining understanding of how God's ways are higher and greater and mold our identity to more closely reflect the image of Jesus.

If only I could see me as you see me

And understand the way that I am loved
Would it give a whole new meaning to my purpose
Change the way I see the world

Would I sparkle like a star in the night sky
Would I give a little more instead of take
If I understood I'm precious like a diamond
Of a worth no one could estimate
Of a worth no one could estimate

Chorus:
You say lovely, I say broken
I say guilty, you say forgiven
I feel lonely, you say you're with me
We both know it would change everything
If only I believed the truth about me

I wish I could hold onto the moments 
When my life is spinning but I'm peaceful still
Like a wind you whisper into silence
And tell me things this world never will
You tell me things this world never will (Chorus)

I would sleep better at night
Wake up with hope for another day
I would love even if it cost me
Take a chance and know I'm gonna be okay
I would dare to give my life away

No comments: